February 20, 2013
What do you do in the garden during the winter? Besides dream and plan, there are some actual activities that need to get done.
* Move and spread mulch for more of our Back to Eden garden. We mulched a damp area at the bottom of a slope that is going to be our potato patch this year.
* Plant indoors to get a jump on the spring/summer garden. We planted broccoli, tomatoes, and peppers last week (old seed=spotty germination but i refuse to buy new seeds when i still have some from prior years!)
* Continue to harvest what is left of the fall crops. We still have a little bit of spinach and lettuce. The kale is doing well & the broccoli is continuing to grow so when it gets warm this spring, we will hopefully get some harvests from it.
* Prune! I spent a couple of weeks this January pruning all of the blueberry bushes (about 40 of them), the apple, peach, and pear trees.
* Bake and Cook! I turn off the heat at the house during the day so I look forward to bread baking, soup making, and pumpkin roasting that heats up the house.
* Plan! I am still finalizing my garden plans for this year and we are planning on getting chicks next month!
* Dream: Lately, I have been dreaming of having ducks in the future to free-range on our pond during the day in order to improve the ecosystem there and hopefully help take care of some of our mosquito population. As I walk my baby around the house, calming him down for naps, I gaze out the windows and dream.
What are your winter garden chores? What are you dreaming about?