August 17, 2015
I freeze about 4-5 gallons of tomatoes each week. Not to mention all of the tomatoes I give away! I think we’re going to be good with soup, pizza sauce, and marinara sauce this winter!
If you have been keeping up, we have harvested 2 watermelon and 3 cantaloupe this year. The groundhogs ate about 20 and the raccoons have eaten the last 10 or 15. We have now bought electric wire and are playing with it, getting it just right before we test it out. I want the charge to be HIGH! I am fighting back!
We have been cleaning up a lot these past few weeks as well as planting for the fall/winter garden.
- The remaining potato plants that were all beautiful and green? Yeah, I found those a couple of days later COVERED in potato bugs. I covered them in DE and they have recovered pretty well.
- I tied up the tomatoes (they had outgrown their previous tyings).
- I planted another round of brassicas for the fall/winter garden and covered them.
- I chased the groundhog out of the garden a few times (still can’t find its hole).
- Remember the raspberries about to ripen? A deer (or something tall) ate those so we fenced in the raspberry area (which has watermelons and cantaloupes so the fence does double duty).
- We continued to try to outsmart the raccoons with fencing…
- I collected some compost from our soil manufacturers and spread it around 1/2 of the garden.
Last week, we:
- Planted another round of beans, and planted more beets, carrots, kale, and peas for the fall garden.
- Cleaned up all of the spent bean plants (most of which had been eaten down by deer).
- Harvested the dried beans and sunflowers.
- Spread more chicken compost on the newly-cleaned up areas.
- Started fencing in the garden with electric wire low (raccoons and groundhogs) and fishing wire high (deer). The plan is to, next year, shoot a crow and hang it up in the middle of the garden, like Paul does. They have gotten WAY too comfortable walking around in the garden!
Unfortunately, our cat hasn’t figured out the electric fencing either and she has gotten shocked 😦 Not what I wanted but…what can I say? I want FRUIT next year!!!
This next week, we will spread some more compost, plant some more fall/winter seeds, and finish up the fencing.
What are you harvesting? What gardening chores are you doing this time of year? I am linking up with Daphne’s Dandelions today to see what others are harvesting around the world 🙂